Do you ever have so much on your plate that you’re left feeling overwhelmed and totally stressed out? Where you wonder just how you’ll get it all done? I hit that point today. It was a culmination of things this week and today, which resulted in that feeling. I know we all have those days. With our fast paced lifestyles it’s commonplace to feel overwhelmed. We work harder, longer and do more than any one person really should be doing. So,the issue with feeling overwhelmed is not when it’ll happen but how you’ll deal with it when it does!
What did I do? I went to yoga. An odd place for me because it’s where my mind chatters and I (more often than not) end up teary-eyed. But while the instructor was telling us to breathe, focus and move, I told myself the following:
1. This is your life. You love it. Yes, sometimes it’s overwhelming. Accept it. Pick the things you can do and let go of the things you can’t.
2. Don’t let negativity seep in. I did that today. I allowed it to come in and it clouded my view. But once I saw it – I smiled and reminded myself that my purpose here is love and positive energy.
3. Remember what’s important. Often when we’re overwhelmed we forget to focus on what’s important. Why are we doing what we’re doing? Are we moving forward?
4. How do I want to feel? What’s my end goal? I have the paint and the paint brush. What do I want my life-painting to look like?
5. Who can help me? I realized that a couple of things were really stumping me. So, instead of continuing to bang my head against the wall, I decided to think about who could help me. We’re often afraid to ask for help because we think it’ll make us look weak. But it takes more strength to ask for help than doing nothing! People are amazing. Just ask and be open to receiving what others are willing to provide.
6. Boundaries. This is my most difficult life task. I know it. I’ve allowed them to be crossed, stomped on and ignored. But time is one of our most precious commodities. It’s the only resource that is un-renewable. So, let’s spend it wisely and consciously. Don’t let people take your time or your energy.
7. Be Thankful. What was the best part of my overwhelming day? Honestly, it was being with my kids at conferences. They’re so amazing and there’s so much love there – it was renewing for me. I’m thankful for them.
Friends, let’s treat these days of feeling of overwhelmed as an important step in slowing down. Readjusting our center of focus. It’s a reminder that we create our own experiences. We paint the picture of our lives. And so, with a deep and beautifully renewing breath, I wish you the most wonderful of weekends. It really is amazing, isn’t it? XOXO