I’m not a lover of looking backwards or looking too far forward, but I do think this is a good time to reflect on a few things:
- Life can be exhausting. If you are like me, you are working and/or raising kids, in a marriage or a relationship, trying to manage your home, your health, and just keeping your head above water. It’s a freaking lot of s***. Acknowledge it. Embrace it. Admit that even though life is 2/3’s full – there is 1/3 that’s completely exhausting. You know to whom you can admit that too. Allow yourself this year to get a hug and a smile when you are spent. You are not alone.
- Are you really emotionally transparent? We have walls, boundaries, fears, you name it and we have it. But think of those people you love to be around – they are emotionally transparent. Those are the friends we should surround ourselves with this year. Thank those in your life who play that role.
- To whom much is given, much is expected. Or, in Uncle Ben’s words of wisdom to Peter Parker in Spiderman: “With great power comes great responsibility.” The idea here is that we are and should be responsible for what we have. If we are blessed with talents, wealth, knowledge, time, love, good health and the like, it is expected that we use those things well and to benefit others. If you believe you have been given any of these in this life time – then we are held to a higher standard and should give back.
- The world doesn’t owe us anything (no one does) but we owe the world. Enough said.
- Promise yourself that you won’t waste your precious energy on gossip, energy stealers, issues of the past, negative thoughts or things you cannot control. Instead invest your energy in the positive present moment.
- Look around, keep your eyes open and watch the next place in your life beautifully unfold. Ask yourself: Am I open to the universe or is fear standing in my way?
- Create (and cultivate) relationships. Relationships cost you nothing but give more back then you can ever imagine.
- Finally, know that there isn’t a solution to every problem. 2017 (and life) will be full of those things we can’t solve. Pause. Breathe. Appreciate. Lean on those in your life. And, of course Love.
Here’s my theme song for the new year. Two-thirds’ full, right? Have a happy, healthy and safe New Year!