I recently made this comment to my son. I was, of course, 10 minutes late to pick him up for an appointment – for which we were going to be late. He said, “I really don’t have a choice, do I mom?” True.
I read an article on excuses that moms (I’m sure this holds true for guys too) use for why we are often late. It’s true that being a parent puts a new spin on punctually. And, being a working mom, I find I am afforded additional excuses (or I just make more of them up).
I must admit, that my lateness is not due to my doing my hair (I don’t) or my makeup (I don’t). It’s just stuff. Stuff happening at work, at home and just because I’ve got a lot of stuff on my plate.
So, here are my top “reasons” I’ve had to give for being late:
1. I couldn’t find my keys … usually in my hand or in my purse.
2. I had to go to the bathroom.
3. I couldn’t find my purse … usually right where I put it. Or my glasses (on my face).
4. My kids needed to poop. (This was a huge – no pun intended – issue when they were younger. We were always late for this reason!).
5. I hit my head cupboard door as I was trying to get out of the house. (You’d think I’d learn my lesson on this one).
6. They kids were too hungry to get in the car without making some elaborate snack.
7. Since I didn’t “give them enough warning” (although I said at least 10 times that it was time to go) they were not “ready.” I really hate this one.
8. They could not stop their “game” because they would lose all their points. OMG. This literally puts me over the deep end.
9. My phone was lost (usually it’s in the car or a kid is playing a game on it).
10. I could not find one of the kids (usually I find them in the car waiting for me).
11. I was chatting with someone a “bit” too long.
12. I had to go to the bathroom “one more time.”
I’m sure you have your own set of reasons (excuses) for being late!
Have a great weekend!