I’m a lawyer and sometimes I just want to have things black and white. Yes, I know – that is so not possible.
I’ve been trying to think of the kind of person I want to be and the rules I want to live by. I came up with a few and then my kids got involved:
- Be consistent.
- Be on time or at least give lead time if I’m going to be late.
- Do what I say I will do, and if I can’t … let the person know and why.
- Be fair, even in an argument.
- Be sensitive to and don’t discount others feelings.
- Return calls or texts as quickly as possible.
- Don’t overreact when things go wrong.
- Never say things I can’t take back or that I will need to take back. The words hang there for a long time.
- Don’t dig up old wounds.
- Respect boundaries – especially my own,
- Be a good listener.
- Pay attention to the little things.
- Give as much love and positive energy as I can.
- Kids don’t need as much sleep as parents think.
- There’s no such thing as texting too much.
- Kids need to sit around all summer, it helps them get ready for the next school year.
- Don’t pick kids up late and don’t get someplace too early.
- Kids are going to be cranky sometimes. It’s ok.
- Kids sometimes don’t want to deal with all that “energy” from their mom.
- It’s also ok if kids forget to do some homework or homework sometimes. (say what??)
- Kids wants pets (read: dog) but they really can’t get up early to walk it.
- Kids learn about real life from watching Sponge Bob.
Obviously, we’ve got a lot to work on over here to meld our lists!
Have a great day!