We all want to change the world, right? To make a difference that people remember?
Last week a friend said to me that we can’t change the world, but we can change our world. I didn’t really understand that …. why can’t we change the world? Yet, as I thought about it, he’s partially right. It’s true that a few people can change the world (look at your iPhone), and certainly the people we celebrated yesterday, changed the world.
But for most of us pedestrians, we won’t invent the next big thing … but, can we change the world in a different way?
When I was a kid, my grandfather told me a story about two men walking on the beach. They both saw a whole bunch of fish washed ashore. The fish kept trying to get back to the water. There were too many to save so one man just kept walking, figuring it was a lost cause. The other man began to throw them back one at a time because he realized that while he couldn’t change the whole problem, he could make a difference for a few. This is what I’m talking about!
But, its overwhelming … so how do we get started?
1. “If you can’t feed a hundred people, then feed just one.” Mother Teresa Making a difference doesn’t have to be an enormous task. It can be one small contribution at a time. The key is having the desire to make a difference.
2. “How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.” Anne Frank At any moment you can do something … what counts is your effort.
3. “Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.” Buddha Happiness and love are two of the greatest gifts you can give to the world. Share them without thinking and you will change the world.
4. “Abilities wither under criticism; they blossom under encouragement.” Dale Carnegie Love this! Support others to do changing.
5. “If you have time to whine and complain about something then you have the time to do something about it.” – Anthony J. D’Angelo Agreed.
Mahatma Gandhi said in his famous quote — “Be the change you want to see in the world.” This is so true. You need to change yourself first. Be the person that forgives first. Treat yourself (and others) with love and care. Have you ever noticed that when you change yourself in a positive way, the world around you changes? When you are happy, those around you are happy?
I think it really can be just that easy ….
Have a great day!