Last week I was waiting to be seated at a restaurant when a man walked up and handed me a piece of paper and walked out. I opened it up and it said, “You are beautiful.” As embarrassed as I felt, I must admit it made me feel good. A few days ago a friend send me an email and wrote, “You are a beautiful person.” How lucky am I? 🙂
Beauty is a word with endless descriptions. It means a lot to us. But let’s remind ourselves that beauty is a positive energy that should come from within ourselves, not a state achieved by make-up, clothes or money.
If we want to feel beautiful, we need to feel it about ourselves. But, some days it’s hard to feel beautiful. When you have those days (or you see someone having a day like that) remember this:
1. Have confidence: Those people in my life that seem to have the most confidence, always appear beautiful to me. I admire those people, no matter what they look like. It’s all about how we carry ourselves. So, on a day you’re not feeling great – hold your head up high. You are beautiful.
2. Focus on what you have not what you don’t: Focus on your features. Don’t feel like you need to have the whole picture – no one does. Maybe today it will be a special piece of jewelry you’re wearing. Maybe it’s a note you are carrying in your pocket from someone you love that will make you feel good all day. It’s not always the sum of the parts. Sometimes it’s one part that will give you beauty for the day!
3. Smile: There is nothing more beautiful than a genuine smile that is filled with happiness. Think of a baby’s smile. Does anything bring more pleasure than those spontaneous toothless grins? No. So, smile today. You will feel beautiful.
4. Leave the competition outside: There is no competition when it comes to beauty. I’ve found myself judging couples where one is attractive and the other isn’t. How dumb of me. If someone loves me, I hope it’s because of what’s inside. And those people who have loved the surface stuff – I’ve long since left them (they usually are empty on the inside too).
5. Be flexible: As we get old(er) beauty moves from something outside to more of what’s inside and how we live. It’s in feeling healthy, eating well, spending time with those who fill us up. That’s what makes us feel beautiful. Fit those things into your every day life.
Beauty is not (and should not) be reserved to physical appearance. Everyone has the ability to be beautiful, it is simply a matter of allowing it to shine through.
“People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.” ~Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Tell someone they are beautiful today. You will make their day!
Have an amazing Monday!