I’m asking myself, “How is it she’s starting her senior year today? Where did the time go?” This last week I’ve spent a lot of time with my kids and oddly enough, time with someone who really does not appreciate life in the same way I do. As I thought about these two parts of my experience this week, I realized that we can’t judge other people. We are all different. Brought up by different people and consciously choosing different paths for our lives. We should, however, figure out who we want to be and focus our energies in that direction.
So, now 13 years after she started kindergarten, here’s my list of things for her to focus on and remember today as she starts her last year of high school:
- This is your life: Be present today, this year and every year.
- Care for others: We are here not just ourselves, but for others. Fight for them. They need your help and you will need theirs someday.
- Your sacrifices today will pay off in the future: Working hard now will only help in the future. Don’t shy away from difficult situations, they will help you become who you are.
- Don’t procrastinate: What’s the point? You’ll need to do it someday.
- Fail: It will teach you success.
- Hope: Good things come to those who have hope – even when you were disappointed yesterday.
- Love: Love yourself for sure. You are your most important relationship. But love others and let yourself be loved. I can’t say it enough – it is the single most powerful thing in life.
- Actions speak louder than words: Don’t be fooled by those who can’t act as they speak. They are a dead-end. Pay attention to what people do. It will tell you all you need to know.
- Random acts of kindness can make the world a better place: Even a random smile will do.
- Behind apparent beauty is often pain: We make mistakes, we are not perfect. Some times the outside masks our hurt. Heartache will be sure to find you. Keep stepping forward when you’re hurt. It will carry you to the rest of your life.
So take time to figure yourself out. Take time to realize what you want and need. Take risks. Take time to love, laugh, cry, learn, and forgive. Life is shorter than it often seems. This year, lovie, it will go all too fast for us.