Do you ever feel like you’re not connecting with and focused on the dreams you have for your life (big picture)? Sometimes, I get to Sunday night and realize how much I wanted to get done that didn’t get done (little picture). Both of these feelings often lead me to thinking about my motivation.
Last year I read an article (I can’t even recall where), which discussed ways to stay motivated when you just don’t feel that motivated. It talked about how often a lack of motivation comes from having too much negativity in your life.
At the time I read it, I was seeped in negativity and I really wasn’t reaching any of my goals or getting close to my dreams. So, I took the article to heart – wrote down the list – and this is what I’ve followed:
1. Have an attitude of expectancy. We get what we expect. If we expect something great or inspirational, we’ll find it. Actually, it’ll find us!
2. Take control over what you can and don’t worry about what you can’t. I’ve learned that if I become too emotionally involved in something I have no control over, not only will I not be able to fix what’s happening, but I’ll end up standing still. The only thing I can control is my actions and reactions.
3. Be with positive people. Negative people and conversations focus us on all the wrong things and take us away from the things we really should be focused on. I was with someone recently who was very negative. Rather than engage, I simply changed the topic – it’s best to stay neutral.
4. Use your words. Words have a positive force in our lives. Some people live by affirmations. I live by simply saying thanks. And when I do, I actually feel thankful.
5. Learn from your mistakes. Look, we all make mistakes. Sometimes we make the same ones over and over again. The key is to eventually learn from it (and not beat yourself up is you are on repeat!).
6. Have a plan. If you take the time to plan, it’s hard to miss something. And, when on paper, it feels all the more urgent!
7. Celebrate you. Always take time out to celebrate what you do, no matter how big or small the goal reached. It will help you get to the next one. Do one thing loving for yourself today – you deserve it!
8. Visualize your success. Sometimes it’s motivating to just try to see what meeting your goals might look like – especially when you are in the middle of a tough life moment. Seeing (in your mind) is believing.
Don’t you agree that an infectious, positive attitude can shift your entire life? Positive thoughts in your mind produce more positive results in your life. When you purposefully infuse positivity into your life – I promise it will help you stay motivated!
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says “I’m possible!” Audrey Hepburn
Have a great day!