I had a dream the other night and out of it came the following life lessons:
1. The s*** I worry about is not going to happen. Here’s the real truth: It’s the s*** I have no idea about that will blind side me. So, why worry about stupid stuff. It’s not likely to happen and it’s taking up valuable real estate.
2. Never let an argument last. Never hold a grudge, it will make your heart heavy. Say you’re sorry even when you don’t want to.
3. If you think you’ve got grit – and act as if you have grit – you have it. If I tell myself that I just can’t do ______ (fill in the blank), then I might as well tell my kids just to let their minds allow them to give up because that’s what I do when I don’t believe in myself.
4. Money is the not the root of all evil – fear is. Money can’t make us happy but self-sufficiency gives us the freedom to share.
5. If you don’t like what someone else says to you, you can walk away. But if you don’t like what you say to yourself, you can’t walk away. So, since you have a lifetime with you, be nice to yourself.
6. What others think really doesn’t matter. I spent many years listening to someone tell me that I wasn’t worthy. I thought that what the person thought of me mattered. Here’s the rule: What you think of you is all that matters. Go with your gut on this one. You’ll thank yourself later.
7. Gratitude is an acquired taste. When it comes down to it, gratitude is a skill that we need to learn. We’re not born understanding how to be grateful, appreciative, and thankful. If you have gratitude in your heart, use it. If you see someone who doesn’t have it help them learn it.
8. Have a lot of relationships. Every relationship teaches us something about love, trust, forgiveness, setting boundaries, taking care of ourselves and taking care of each other. Sometimes the “bad” relationships teach you more than the “good” ones.
9. Everyone has the right to choose their own path. We have to let go of thinking we know what’s right for people.
10. Shake up your life once in a while. It will keep you awake.
11. Remember the lessons from your mother. Those lessons came from the most sacred kind of love that exists.
12. Remember, the source of most of our frustrations and anxiety are the result of living in the future or the past. And, neither is now.
13. Our biggest flaw is not admitting our flaws. Perfect for #13.
14. Love is the ultimate expression of life. Give it out as often as you can. Don’t worry about getting it back. You will.
I must say, the dream was intense, colorful and real. The lessons were even better.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!