With with craziness of the world right now, I’ve come up with my list of 20 rules I’d like to live by (and my kids as well). I’m far from perfect in following these but it’s always good to have a dream! Here’s the list now posted on our refrigerator:
1. Be kind, not nice. Kindness is intentional and meaningful. When you’re kind, you’re also being generous – emotionally and otherwise. Niceness is often like window-dressing, pretty but sometimes fake.
2. Forgive the past (and the present) so it won’t screw up the future.
3. When in doubt, just take a small step.
4. Keep your sense of humor. It’ll bring a sense of perspective to situations that provide for a broader view of the situation.
6. The pinnacle of life is always slippery. Only plateaus offer a place to rest. Don’t stay on the plateaus too long and pack your bags accordingly.
7. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
8. Fall in love with someone’s mind and how they treat you. Nothing else.
9. It’s ok to let your kids (and people) see you cry.
10. Avoid too much power. Power allows us to persuade stupid people to do intelligent things and intelligent people to do stupid things. That’s why power is so dangerous.
11. Sherlock Holmes said, “Work is the best antidote to sorrow, my dear Watson.” Listen to Sherlock. But remember, your job won’t take care of you when you’re sick. Your friends will. So stay in touch with them.
12. Time heals almost everything. Give time time.
13. Get rid of anything that isn’t useful or makes you feel joyful. That includes people.
14. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else’s, we’d likely grab ours back.
15. Everybody wants a shortcut to love, success and weight loss, although not necessarily in that order. However, there are no shortcuts in life. Anyone who tells you there are, is lying to you.
16. Be aware that a safety net, if pulled too tightly, easily turns into a noose. Don’t trade independence for security without being aware of the consequences.
17. Life’s too short to waste time hating anyone.
18. Don’t compare your life to others’. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
19. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.
20. Stay awake. Miracles are everywhere.
Friends – have a great start to your week!